A warning about this post: I am going to be writing about specialized products by brand name as I explain why to use them. To Find out my reasoning/policy about brands , please see this:
Dreams and Visions at LizzysPaperPlace
My atlas pages are not quite big enough for my book, so I'm gluing two together. Then, I use clear packing tape to line around the edges of the card board. I do this when the paper is thin, so as I fold the paper over, it won't rip around the sharp edges of the card board.
I like a generous border on the inside of my books. Fold the long sides in, then unfold. Use double sided tape to hold the paper down. I apply tape to the very edge of the card board, and to the outside edge of the paper,then fold into place.
Here is the time when I tell you about double sided tape.It has some advantages over glue, and some disadvantages too. Double sided tape is much faster to use than glue;there is no drying time. But it is also immediately permanent (unless you use the removable kind which is very,very expensive). It forms a very strong bond.
I use two basic kinds of double sided tape in my card making, and book making. The first comes in a dispenser. I use a small dispenser for tight places, like this one here:
Art Tech is the brand that is my favorite. These are fairly expensive, so I tend to use them sparingly.
The champion dispenser is called a ATG gun, or an Advanced Tape Glider.
I love this thing! I started with the Scotch brand, and I've stuck with it . At first I had a bit of trouble learning how to load and unload it. I would recommend going to a video right away. Melody uses the same gun I do, and the same brand of (not by Scotch) refill. She's funny,too!
Melody Lane's ATG gun guide
You can get both the small dispenser and an AGT all over the internet, and at craft stores.
I also use another kind of double sided tape when I make mini albums and books. There is one brand which is my favorite, and it is Scor-Tape. This tape has a sticky side, and a peal away liner. The liner is especially useful when making boxes and other complex projects which require lots of folding. It comes in several widths, too (the ATG gun takes only one width ). I think there is a separate dispenser/tearing gadget for it, but I don't use one.
I get mine at Create for Less, and buy it in several different sizes all at once to save shipping.
Create For Less
Ok, It's time to decide how you are going to hold your pages together inside your book. You can create an group of hinges out of card stock. This is what I use when making little scrap book mini albums as gifts. I'm not going to do this today, but you can find how to do hinges on youtube here.
Hinges for books
I'm going to sew my book together this time. My next step is to create groups of pages, which book makers call signatures. Since my paper is fairly thin, I'm going to make four groups or signatures of seven pages each. Try to make your signatures with even numbers of pages. You are going to be sewing them together, so if you are using heavier paper, your signatures should only be a few pages each.
Now you are going to make a little template to sew your pages together evenly. Cut a thin piece of scrap card stock the same width as your book cover's spine, and the same length as your book's pages. My scrap is 1 inch wide by 9 inches long.
Then, I divide the width evenly. Mine is fairly narrow, so I'm just dividing it in half, and marking that with a pencil. I then divide the length as best I could. Mine is 9 inches long, so I marked it at 1 1/4th, 2 inches,
4 1/2, 6 7/8, and 8 inches. Now, I pierce the scrap paper where the marks for the length and width meet.
Next, I mark each signature at the middle page, poking my pen through the holes in my template.The next step is to pierce each signature at the marks you just made. Book makers use a tool called an awl for this, which you can find used at garage sales!
We will complete the book at our next blog post!
SEE YOU LATER!
No comments:
Post a Comment