Blog Archive

Monday, February 8, 2016

Making a paper sketch book

It is unbelievable, really, how much free paper you can come across once you begin to notice how much there is, even just around your own place. One of my sources for paper comes in shipping boxes. I can't figure out why I get paper sometimes instead of those plastic balloon things. If I figure out a way to request just paper, I will let you know!

The paper I get is brown, sturdy, and comes in a long sheet with perforations at regular intervals.It is.,of course very wrinkly. I save it to use as a protection for my work table while I paint.

But today, I am going to make a little sketch note book for me to use. I'm generally not a very disciplined person, but I am trying to get into the habit of drawing something every day, even if it is small. Those little sketch books you can get at art supply places are intimidating to me! They are so expensive, and they look so officially artsy that I hesitate to play around in them. So I'm going to make a couple of DIY notebooks that I can mess around in. Along the way, I will be using some specialized gadgets I have in my craft room. And I will explain each gadget as I go.


To make a book along with me, get the following materials:
an empty cereal box
a ruler
a pencil and eraser
glue
paper
scissors
waxed string (you can use waxed dental floss)
a large-eye sewing needle

optional materials I will be using:
printed 12 by 12 scrap book papers
double sided tape
clear packing tape
martha stewart score board
bone folder
card stock
a craft knife

First, if your paper is different sizes, cut it all to the same size. Keep in mind that each piece will be folded in half to make your book. Then, fold each piece in half (you can fold it either log ways or short ways, depending on how you want your book to look. Today, I will be making a book from a pad of extra large newsprint I got on sale for $2.50. My sheets are 18 inches by 24 inches. I'm going to cut it into pieces measuring 12 by 9.  How did I come up with those dimensions? I simply kept folding the stuff until it looks right to me! when I fold this in half to make the book, each page will be 6 by 9.  I'm going to make 24 pieces all together, so my book will wind up with 48 individual pages.



Next, Make your cover. Cut the cereal box flaps all the way off on both ends and save them for another project. Then, cut down the long side of the box at one of the corners.This will give you a flat piece of cardboard with a hinge in it. Cut off the narrow side of the box that is on the end.

Now, measure out the height of the paper you have folded, add 1/2 inch, and cut the box accordingly.My cover will be 9.5 inches high.




The next step requires some delicate cutting. The hinge you have created is too wide (unless you want a huge amount of pages!. I have found that the easiest way to reduce the size is to divide it directly down the middle, then divide by half again. Measure it all out, marking with a pencil. Cut the middle out. Glue the remaining pieces together again, over lapping them for strength.



Let dry. See the next post to continue.

SEE YOU!




















No comments:

Post a Comment