So after the paper has been allow to dry a bit inside its weighted sandwich overnight, its time to hang it up to really dry. Lift off the weights, and then the piece of wood. Don't try to lift the paper off of the piece of cotton/felt. Just hang them up together. Old fashioned spring clothespins and some strong twine tied somewhere is all you need. Make sure you pin both the paper and the cotton down. If you can't hang it up, spread each piece out flat in the sun. But you will have to watch it carefully so it doesn't blow away.
You will be able to tell when the paper is almost dry, because it may start to separate from the cotton. I like to lay each piece flat with the cotton side up, and peel back the cotton while gently holding down the paper sheet. If it doesn't want to separate, it isn't dry enough.
When I started making paper, my sheets were very thick and ugly. It took a while for me to get the hang of the dipping process. I use my homemade paper as decorative elements, and don't use them to write on. If you want to write on your paper with regular ink, you will have to add liquid starch to your slurry.
I solved the problem of having ugly paper in several ways. I use dried lavender along with bits of purple tissue paper and press them into a wet sheet of pulp. I dye pulp red by adding a bit of beet juice to the slurry. I make yellow dye with onion skins cooked in water. I cut words out from old books and add them to wet sheets for a vintage look.
IF you really fall in love with making paper, and want to increase its quality, try adding cotton linter to your slurry. You can find it here:
http://www.amazon.com/Arnold-Grummer-Brite-Cotton-Linter/dp/B00251A7G4/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1454631629&sr=1-1&keywords=cotton+linters+pulp
SEE YOU LATER!
No comments:
Post a Comment