Blog Archive

Wednesday, January 27, 2016

How To Begin Making Greeting Cards Step by Step # 2

This is the second in a series of  how to's for the beginner card maker or scrap booker. For a list of very basic supplies and an introduction go here :
First Greeting Card Lesson

I'm going to step you through making a Valentine's Day Card, but you can make any sort of card with the same general instructions. When I was a beginning card maker, I found layered cards simple to do yet appealing, so that is the kind of card we are going to make together.

To begin, pick out a sheet of 8.5 by 11 card stock. If you have any other coordinating card stock or paper around, grab that as well. You will need to find some paper with an appealing pattern on it that you would like to put together with the colors you have picked out. The paper needs to be 4.25 by 5.5 inches at the most. You can find free patterns to print on the internet here:

http://mrprintables.com/printable-scrapbook-papers.html

I printed out two copies of the same paper onto typing paper so I could make mistakes without worry. Be sure to read the restrictions for use on any paper you decide to use. Most sites allow you to use their patterns for personal use, but not to sell.
            If you don't have a printer, you can buy a scrap booking magazine. These often have free papers right inside them!
       I like this one! It  has free papers or other free stuff in it every time! But keep in mind that magazines encourage you to buy a bunch of products! As a popular card making saying goes, "Why buy a card for three dollars when you can spend $30.00 in supplies and make your own!"

https://www.facebook.com/CreativeCardmaking/

SO here is the paper I picked out:

The patterned paper has a slightly blue background, so I picked out a sheet of white card stock, a sheet of light blue card stock, and a sheet of red card stock to coordinate with it. I like the idea of a blue card base, so that is the paper I am going to use!

Cut your 8.5 by 11 card stock in half "the short way,"  to make two pieces,each 8.5 by 5.5. To do this,make a light mark on both sides at 5.5 inches, then connect them with your pencil, and cut on the line:
measuring

cutting
making the cutting line

Save one half for another card, and carefully fold the other half in two:,making a card base that measures 4.25 by 5.50 inches. Erase your pencil marks.

NOW for the fun part! Cut your patterned paper so that it measures 1/4 inch LESS than the size of your card (4 inches by 5.25 inches). Erase your pencil marks. Use glue to carefully place it on the front of the card base. Sometimes I center the patterned layer, but today I decided to align the left edges so that the right edge of the card base shows more.

 Since this card is a Valentine's Day card, my next layer is going to be some hearts cut out from pink paper. I'm lousy at drawing hearts, so I printed out one and used it as a pattern to cut out several hearts. I'm going to place them on the card front until I like the look.

OH! Playing around with the hearts reminds me of a balloon card I saw once. So I'm going to hunt up some string, attach it to the hearts so they look like floating balloons! Cute? Huh? This is a reminder that you can play around when you make a card, steal ideas,experiment. I'm going to use a song quote, and pen it onto one of my "balloons"., first penciling it in.

SEE YOU NEXT TIME!






No comments:

Post a Comment